I will always remember...

This trip to the South is by far the most intense, heart-breaking and intellectual experience that I’ve had in my entire high school career. We met a few people who were actually there when the Civil Rights movement was taking place. I appreciate the fact that the people we spoke to did not sugarcoat anything. They were very blunt and honest with us. They told us the facts no matter how cruel it sounded. 
There were a couple things  that struck me with me more than others from our trip. The first was when we visited 16th Street Baptist Church, where four young African-American girls were bombed and killed. While we were in the church, we watched a video on the incident. This was extremely hard for me to watch because it reminded me of my little sister. About five years ago, my little sister was kidnapped and killed in Haiti. My little sister was around the same the age as the four the children who died in the bombing of the church. 
Before we had went into the Church, we listened to Dr. King’s Eulogy at the funeral of the four young children. Dr. King said that we need to believe that the bombers are still capable of loving, and they deserve our forgiveness. This made me think about my life.
I still hold grudges and anger in my heart. I don’t want to do that any more, but I don’t know how to let go. Nothing can bring my little sister back, and nothing will ever be able to make this situation right. So how can I possibly forgive? It seems impossible, but I know that others have done it. If the parents of those four children were capable of forgiving their persecutors than I am too. This trip inspired me to learn how to forgive.
Another moment I cannot stop thinking about is our meeting with some of the teachers and students from Coahoma County High School in Clarksdale, Mississippi. We had a very disturbing conversation with them about their education system. There’s currently a teacher shortage in Coahoma County High School. As a result, the students have to take some of their classes online, and many teachers have to teach subjects that they were not trained to teach. So you have teachers presenting material that they themselves don’t fully understand. The people who work on the board of education get paid good money, but they will not give the school the proper funds to buy school materials. When I was listening to Shemar and Freddy talking about their experience at Coahoma County High School, it got me angry. People are always telling me to “stay in school, stay in school,” but the education system is failing those kids at Coahoma County. I admire Freddy and Shemar so much because even though their education system is terrible, they are still finding ways to be successful. I admire some of the teachers at Coahoma County who are putting maximum effort to helping the students be successful both in and outside of school. 
As I was listening to the teachers and students of Coahoma County High School speak about their education system, I felt this calling to come back to Mississippi and help be a part of the solution. I don’t know when and how, but I certainly feel like I’m going to spend a portion of my life in Mississippi one way or another. 
I’m grateful to have had this experience, and I definitely believe that this project needs to happen again.  

Comments