A Great Learning Experience


Being part of the Civil Rights Project was a honor. I never imagined myself traveling to the deep South and creating various memorable experiences. I had lots of stereotypes of the South and when I actually got to experience life in the South, I was ashamed of the mentality I had. Media and my ignorance affected my perception of places, people and things. Traveling to the South was a great learning experience and now that I am more knowledgeable of the history and its present, I plan on applying it in a classroom setting and educating others who have stereotypes of the South. 

 We met so many people and I appreciate everything they did for us. More specifically, the cookouts we were invited to were fun, the food was delicious, and the talks we had with the adults were inspiring. One person that made an impact on me was Georgette Norman. She spoke about being a bridge. “What type of bridge are you?” she asked. I was confused. She explained that bridges connect with people and there are different ways that we connect with people. We can be a footbridge where we connect with a small group of people or we can be a suspension bridges that stretches out from one end to another and connects with lots of people. Her analogy of building connections was powerful and after taking the time to reflect on what she had said, I got to learn more about the type of person I am.

Overall, I would like to thank Dr. Lansang and Mr. Scanlan for the 110% effort they put in making this project successful. Dr. Lansang would always be there to make sure we were fine and Mr. Scanlan would safely drive us from one destination to another. Both of these adults need as much recognition as the other people we met. They went above and beyond and I am grateful for them.

Comments