I have been changed for the better

   
 Entering this project and heading down south I had no idea as of what to expect. The only things that I could and did take with me were stereotypes and hearsay. With regards to the Civil Rights I’d figured I knew most of the history and was just going to get refreshers in a few places that they happened. It’s safe to say that I was proven wrong in both aspects. Most of why our trip to the Southern states was even possible was due to the willingness and generosity of the all the people, but white folk in particular. What I assumed due to rumors and stereotypes was that white people in the South had these hidden vendettas towards black people. I’m glad to say that I was completely proven wrong. While the South, along with other parts of the US, still has its  struggles pertaining equality and justice, the South has come a long way and you can see a collective effort to right many of the wrongs and injustices. The culture and “Southern Hospitality” of the people made a lasting impression on me and the idea of visiting again as been recurring in my head.

    Touching on the Civil Rights history aspect of the trip, I could have never anticipated the experiences and emotions that arose. Going to many different places that essentially touched on the same topic and time frame showed me how little I actually knew and how much more history was out there, because every single place we visited I learned a plethora of new information. The constant bombardment of this “difficult” history of the U.S. brought out lots of emotions both for and toward the victims and perpetrators of this difficult history, but more importantly proved as a great opportunity for self reflection. At first, after hearing all the atrocities that went into the building of this country I was really eager to want to be this activist that fought for equality. Then I realized I was being hypocritical; I wanted for people to look at everyone else as equal even though I hadn’t been doing the same myself. I had to start with myself before I could help anyone else. I owe it to the people who died fighting for this cause, or else it would have been in vain.

    This trip, and the people I was fortunate enough to go on this journey with and encounter along the way, changed the outlook of my life and the way I live it, and I can honestly say that it changed for the better. For that, I am and will be forever grateful.

Comments