A Gray Bee Home in Montgomery, Alabama: Reconnecting with a Gray Bee

If you’re a Gray Bee, then you surely know that Benedict’s is a home away from home; in some cases, it serves as your primary home. Through my experience during our time in Montgomery, Alabama, I’ve also come to understand that wherever there’s a Gray Bee, there is a home! Going into Montgomery was exciting; we were set to meet Greg Thornton ‘67, brother of Paul Thornton ‘63, who works in the advancement office at St. Benedict’s. We also met Pat Thornton, Greg's wife who currently works in the advancement department of the Southern Poverty Law Center. They invited us into their home as if we were family, and we had great food and ice cream.
I had the opportunity to interview a woman named Georgette Norman, who directed the Rosa Parks Museum in Montgomery. She was a fascinating woman; she seemed to exude wisdom and intelligence. I hung on to her every word.
After the interviews, Dr. Lansang noted that the Thornton's had a piano, so we all gathered around the piano to sing the songs of Rev. Winstead as if we were in Convo. Mr. Thornton however, had a special request: our Alma Mater! We broke into a chorus, singing “Our praises now we fondly sing, ever dear St. Benedict’s!” And fondly we did sing. Leaving the Thornton’s felt like leaving Benedict’s all over again. As I look towards graduation on June 2nd, after being a student for 6 years, I am reminded that even after I leave, I will forever be a Gray Bee. I am so grateful to the Thornton’s for their hospitality!

Comments

  1. Thank you, Jesus.It meant a lot to all of us that you were at our home here. Nothing like music to bring people together. Our home resounded with some wonderful harmony that evening.Would that our world could work toward more harmony. That will be your challenge as you move on and out into it all.I hope your trip home is a safe and "uneventful" trip.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment