Why I Believe In Experiential Learning

One of the things that drew me to Saint Benedict’s is the ability to teach through, and have learning experiences with, students. When I was in school, I was never a natural in the classroom. I had to work very hard at it. I always knew it was important. I just didn’t like it a whole lot. But I always liked to learn through doing and seeing.

 There is a type of tension for me in teaching through experiences like this Civil Rights Journey we are on. Dr. Lansang and I can plan all we want but at the end of the day, we never know what will stick. Sometimes the things that have seem the most important to me on the front end my not have turned out that way when a student experiences it. I was reminded at the Gala last week about how important this type of teaching and learning hours. An alumnus in his 30s talked about experiences  he had with me at least at least 15 years ago that he hasn’t forgotten. He talked about minute details  from these trips with such specificity that amazed me.  Many of the things he recalled I had little recollection of!

 What I have learned after all of this is I can never know what the memorable parts will be. What I do know is that it’s important to throw as much up against the wall to see what sticks, then have the chance to talk and write about what we saw and smelled and heard and ate. So after all this time doing trips like this one we are all on now, I’m still in the same place wondering what parts of this journey with these guys take with them.

Comments

  1. So well said. From the vantage point of being in New Jersey and reading through the blog, it looks as though you, Mr. Scanlan, and the group are all on an amazing journey loaded with rich experiences that will surely provide the stuff of powerful memories. And it's so true -- the value of experience is immeasurable, priceless. Our students are so lucky to have you and Dr. Lansang as the brains behind this unique odyssey of learning.
    With best regards -- Ms. MacPherson

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment