Lessons from the Southern Negro League Museum and Kelly Ingram Park in Birmingham

(Tuesday, May 7): We visited The Negro League Museum and took time to see all of the cool exhibits. I learned about Bull Connors' tyrannical behavior towards black ball players. I came to the conclusion that sports played a decent role in desegregation in America. We visited Kelly Ingram Park, and saw all of the statues of the children who were hosed, and beaten. It confuses me to know that people have that much hate and contempt for people who look different. I read that the power of the hoses had the power to rip bark off of a tree. I appreciated the group’s discussion about race and social justice issues, it gave me a broader perspective on all of these topics. One thing I didn’t enjoy about the park was the people who were in it while we were. These people were desecrating holy land, land that has the blood, sweat, and tears of our people deep in the soil. It made me wonder if they knew what happened in the same place that they smoke, drink, curse, and panhandle. But, I will say, seeing those people motivated me to keep my self in check, and to share things I learned on this trip with those who are ignorant.

Comments

  1. Thank you for this fascinating account of your visit to these important historical sites. "Keeping (yourself) in check," as you wrote, and reporting it for others to experience and "see" is a great response to ignorance and hatred.
    Thank you, Kevin.
    With best regards -- Ms. MacPherson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin: I'm glad that Ny'gee and Jonathan found out about the Southern League Museum while they were researching about Birmingham -- it was the first time that Mr. Scanlan and I had ever heard about it. I am also grateful that you were able to connect the influence of the Negro Leagues with the Civil Rights movement. Kelly Ingram Park has taught all of us many different lessons, and hopefully one of them is to be more understanding toward others, even those who we might find rub us the wrong way. -- Lansang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin, you have an eye for seeing things that others in our group miss. Our visit to the Souther Negro League Museum was one of the coolest and most unexpected parts of the trip for me. It was a great find on you and Zion’s planning. Thanks for expanding my horizons! Scan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment