Learning about Newark and Civil Rights

When I was younger, I thought that Newark was in poor condition because of Black people and the riots. But after meeting Dr. Thomas McCabe and watching documentaries about the riots, I learned that the Newark Riots are part of an ongoing struggle for equal rights for Black people. In addition to meeting Dr. McCabe and watching documentaries, I watched "To Kill a Mockingbird" on Broadway. The play gave me a physical glimpse of of the treacherous life of Down South for Black men and women. It was essentially a display of an example of why during the Great Migration, Black people traveled up to Newark. Watching To Kill a Mockingbird, meeting and discussing with Dr. McCabe, and watching documentaries have given me a deeper understand of why Newark is the way it is today. - Jules Gouton

Comments