Newark is also affected by race injustice

Talking with Dr. McCabe allowed me to better understand the challenges that African-Americans had to face in the 1900s. Moreover, the conversation between us was interesting because we got to talk on how the past impacted the present. For example, red-lining practiced racial discrimination that prevented people of color from getting mortgages and consequently shape the demographics. He explained how the high concentration of people of color in Newark today is a result of red-lining. I was struck because I’ve been living in Newark and I never thought the demographics were a result of the past.

On Wednesday we saw the play “To Kill A Mockingbird”. It truly made a impact on me because the characters acted so well that I was experienced various emotions. As a Latino, I began to resent Mayella Ewell when she stated that white men built America and that other races are invaders that did nothing for the country. The following day, we got to do lots of reflecting in class and I became more appreciative of the work put to the play because I realized how the lighting, costumes and other small details enhanced the play and the overall experience of the audience.

Comments