My return to Virginia Military Institute

This week we did many things but one part that stuck out to me the most was our trip to VMI. Even though I already have been to VMI two times prior to this, I am still very thankful that we went there. For me it was more of a personal experience for because the past two summers I have been there for the COW (College Orientation Workshop) program. It brought back a lot of good memories, so for me, this return visit there meant much more. Another thing is that, during out tour of the Post (that’s what they call the campus of VMI) I got to see parts of the school that I never saw before, thanks to our tour guide Carlos Acosta, SBP Class of ‘18, who is just about to finish his freshman year there. Carlos gave us a very truthful perspective of the place, and he gave us a lot of details. One thing that amazed me was the church I had never been inside before — it was very beautiful. During dinner with Mr. Gene Williams, who helped me get into th COW Program, I got a chance to learn about Jonathan Daniels who was a VMI graduate who was studying to be a priest at the time of the Voting Rights Protests in Alabama in the 1960’s and who was murdered because he was helping fight for civil rights. Mr. Williams talked to us about Jonathan Daniels, and gave us advice about our trip to the Deep South: learn about yourself and how you can be part of the work that still needs to be done to correct the racial injustices in our country.

Subscribe to 2019 Civil Rights Project at SBP

Comments

  1. I have been reading your blogs, I'm so proud of all you young men. Thank you Father Ed for affording these young men such great opportunities that empower their lives forever. Also special thanks to Mr. Scanlan, Mr, Steadman, and Mr. Gene William of VMI. I really had trouble letting go but I followed my head. St. Benedict's Preparatory School is amazing! Not only teaching academic but survivor skills as well. Great job SBP! I have an alumni, a senior, and a freshman entering this fall. Proud Grandma!
    ...Jean Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent essay, Ny'Gee. Sounds like you are learning some profound lessons. Keep up the good writing.
    Thanks so much-- Ms. MacPherson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was glad to learn so much from Mr. Williams, too. He is a good role model for us to follow, and we will take to heart his challenge to us: to learn and to love. We also need to let Mr. Williams know what we have seen Jonathan Daniels being memorialized in several of the places we have visited in Montgomery. -- Lansang

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it interesting to hear your thoughts on VMI since you’ve been around the place for the past two years. I hope you realize how much the folks there admire you. Be sure to keep in touch with them. They are great folk to have in your corner!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so interesting to me that you can find good everywhere - I must admit to thinking that I wouldn't have expected much from VMI. You post opened my eyes. We all have our prejudices - it is great to have them challenged.
    Ms. Connolly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment