Making friends in Montgomery, Alabama

Monday, May 13 was a very interesting day in Montgomery, but one thing that I enjoyed the most was my conversation with a teenager from the local magnet school in. Chris, an 18 year old young man from a nearby town by Montgomery, filled me in on some information about how he lives here as an African American. We were both eager to learn from each other and how our states operate. I asked if he has experienced racism and he said that he hasn’t blatantly. He says that he sees people look at him in a cruel way and whisper things about him to someone else but it doesn’t really bother him because he just learns to deal with it . Nobody has ever came up to him and called him a N word to his face. I noticed he was a bit socially awkward but I was curiously to why. It turns out that Chris is very lonely and lives in the outskirts of the nearby town and it’s a coincidence because he was so excited to speak to me. He tells me he doesn’t have much friends and I told him I could be his friend.  What a great way to end my time in Alabama and it makes me feel better about myself knowing I could be someone’s friend when they don’t have many as it is.

Comments