Experiencing History Through the Civil Rights Institute

Subscribe to 2019 Civil Rights Project at SBP

On Friday, the group visited the Civil Rights Institute in Birmingham, across from the 16th Street Baptist Church. I knew it was going to be a powerful experience based on everything we've done this week, but I don't think I was quite prepared for the emotional blow that I would feel during this special trip. To try to explain the details of the exhibits would do it a disservice, but to explain how I felt is a necessity. Walking through the exhibits transported me to another time, quite literally, and with this transportation, I became a part of the movement. I marched, I sang and felt fellowship with those with me. But also, I was hosed down; I was bombed on a Greyhound bus, I was bombarded by racial slurs. And I became furious and deeply upset. Towards the end of the visit, I burst into tears, only having to watch what actually happened. Why did these evil things have to happen to these innocent people? But through these intense emotions, I felt a sense of hope; with pain, came progress. And through the pain that we are experiencing now in our communities, progress with surely follow. I am eternally grateful for this experience, and I know that I will never forget it.

Comments

  1. So powerful, Jesus. Thank you for sharing this experience.
    With best regards -- Ms. MacPherson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus, you do a good job conveying the wide range of emotions these experiences can uncover. Thanks -Mr. Scanlan

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trick, Jesus, is to find a healthy way to take what might be a 'negative' emotion and allow that energy to lift us up rather than keep us down. On a historical note, we ought to feel blessed that we are living during times when there has been progress made toward improved race relations -- but we must always be grateful that there are people brave enough to fight for improvement rather that just accept the way things used to be. Their contributions are life-changing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment