Our common struggle with poverty

This trip was an amazingly meaningful experience for me. I feel as though I went into it completely unaware of how it would affect me emotionally, physically, psychologically and spiritually. Everything came together so perfectly. The events we attended, the activities we did, and the people we met were all so great. 

One thing that was really important for me on this trip was the comparison of the North to the South. Wherever I go, there will always be that comparison to home because home is what I have to measure up against. Going to Selma and Clarksdale really helped put into perspective that there is a common struggle of poverty all across the nation. I had a chance to hear and see the struggles of the people firsthand. What strikes me about those people is their faith and their optimism. The way they always keep a smile on their face is what was most inspiring to me. They were open about their homes in a way I definitely could not have been, and I appreciate that greatly.

Upon returning to New Jersey, I have often thought about the concept of the common struggle of poverty in America. It made me upset because if the same problem is happening everywhere, why isn’t everyone trying to team up and fix it. I understand that people have their lives to worry about, but if you take away time from that busy life to make a better life for you and everyone around you, isn’t it worth it? Those are the kind of thoughts that this trip brought out of me. I am thankful for my exposure to such places and the ideas I am acquiring from it. This journey has given me a new outlook on activism as well as asking the difficult questions, and I am better for it.

Comments